Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Hey Baby ...

I found this video upsetting and infuriating. I think most women will. This is simply what happens when women walk down the street.

You don't have to be young and attractive, as this woman is. Hell, I'm an old, slightly pudgy white-haired dyke who still jogs and I got intrusive comments from a couple of guys I passed by just yesterday. They do it to remind us that the streets, the outdoors in general, is their turf.

My harassers were white guys, by the way. If I have any critique of this video it is that makes it look as if the offending males are overwhelmingly Black and Latino. That strikes me as byproduct of filming in New York City. This behavior isn't about race; this is about guys asserting dominance.

If you want to be really upset, click over to YouTube and read the comments: a swarm of creeps want this woman (an actor) to understand that she just can't take a joke.

Full story by Amanda Hess at Slate.

No comments: