Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Here's someone I can relate to


Megan Rapinoe, co-caption of the US soccer team in the World Cup, really is a star.

Rapinoe, who came out as gay in 2012, recently called herself “a walking protest when it comes to the Trump administration” because of “everything I stand for.” She said the idea that someone like her can don the U.S. kit is “kind of a good ‘F you’ to any sort of inequality or bad sentiments that the [Trump] administration might have towards people who don’t look exactly like him.”

As a member of the Seattle Reign in September 2016, Rapinoe took a knee during the national anthem before a match against the Chicago Red Stars as a “nod to” 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who that summer began his protests over the oppression of minorities and drew an angry response from Trump. She became the first high-profile white or female athlete to kneel during the anthem.

... She added that her gesture of resistance will continue. “I’ll probably never put my hand over my heart,” she told Yahoo. “I’ll probably never sing the national anthem again.” Her feelings are also rooted in how she feels about being an advocate for gay rights. “Being a gay American, I know what it means to look at the flag and not have it protect all of your liberties,” Rapinoe told John D. Halloran of American Soccer Now, explaining why she took a knee in 2016.

Washington Post

I have trouble getting fired up about Gay Pride month. I enjoy what we've won in the way of being able to be just human. That came through much struggle. But the commercial annual party isn't my show. If it's yours, enjoy it.

And honor people who use their experience of struggle to recognize others in the same boat.

No comments: