Saturday, March 21, 2020

Saturday scenes: shutdown Mission

Early Friday morning I took a walk north on Valencia to 16th St, east to Mission, and south to my starting point, carefully distancing myself from the few other people abroad at 8am.

It was jarring to see the Crepe House boarded up. Note the young heterosexual couple strolling together with their morning coffees. Insofar as there were people walking within the six foot zone we're supposed to keep clear, these were the sort I saw.

Across the street, the tough lefty survivors of Radio Habana Social Club are out for the duration.

There was a line at Ritual Roasters -- properly spaced out to avert contagion over caffeine I should mention.

There were a few unhoused people sleeping in doorways, but less than I am used to seeing. Where have people gone, I wonder?

El Buen Sabor was also boarded up.

There were plenty of runners! Up until very recently, I might have been among them -- I used to run Valencia in the bike lane sometimes, but only very early on Sunday mornings when I could be sure of little traffic. Maybe I should give this another try ... But I couldn't do what either of these people were doing, running on the sidewalk. I need the relative softness of asphalt -- hence running the street.

Never noticed this place on Mission before; nice sign.

This gent was checking a take-out menu. Aren't we all? We're actually more likely to grab take-out as long as some of these hole-in-the-wall places continue to serve. They need all the customers they can get or they won't make it through this. I don't trust that any bailout is going to reach the owners and workers of Mission storefront restaurants. Will they be replaced by chains or just shuttered forever?

Yet another locked coffee shop. Will such community places ever reopen? It's hard to imagine they can hold on for a long closing. Yet we all know urban communities are not only changeable, they are also surprisingly resilient. Time will tell.

No comments: