Sunday, June 03, 2007

Remembering Steve Gilliard


From The News Blog:

Steve Gilliard, editor and publisher of The News Blog, passed away early Saturday morning, June 2nd. He was 41.

If Steve hadn't been there, I would not have become a blogger. After a decade working in institutions run by people of color on issues of race and racism, I'd have never tried to do politics in a medium completely dominated by privileged white men. Steve showed me that would only be true if we let it be true.

Steve showed me that a blog could mix assertive political argument with the happy minutia of daily life. Along with the politics, anti-colonial history and military insights, he gave us food posts (I even made his baked macaroni once to the horror of my arteries) and soccer posts.

While most blogs were all words, Steve always showcased appropriate images along with his commentary. I adopted his example -- and that eventually led to me into more serous photography and some photo blogging. But Steve set the pattern by his use of images.

I don't think I realize yet how much I'll miss him, but I know I will feel his loss every day for quite awhile. How much more must his death mean to those who shared his company in person. To them, I extend my feeble condolences.


I sent this photo to Steve in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and he used it a couple times. Those were some of my proudest moments as a very minor blogger.

3 comments:

June Butler said...

Jan, I miss Steve, too. I loved his take-no-prisoners writing style and that he never cared about who got pissed off when he said what he thought was right and what needed to be said.

Jane R said...

I've never read Steve G., but I read of his death on Terrance's blog, The Republic of T, which I like and have been reading for a long time. I wish I'd been able to read him and keep reading him. I hope his blog will stay up for a time, and I hope he is in a place of peace and righteousness. May his voice be a challenge to us.

Kay Dennison said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Jan. You and Styeve are in my prayers.