Monday, December 05, 2011

The fire and my neighbor's art


Just a short follow up on that apartment fire on 24th Street: the burned building was the home of a local artist, one of whose street creations is pictured above. CBSSanFrancisco talked to him at the scene:

... local artist Elliott C. Nathan, 26, stood outside the building with his roommates, who were wearing pajama bottoms.

He said he was asleep in his ground-floor apartment around 4:30 a.m. when his roommate started screaming for everyone to wake up and get out.

Nathan said his roommates grabbed their laptops and left the building, but that he made five or six trips back and forth to save his artwork. He said he has a show coming up at the Incline Gallery on Valencia Street, and pointed out a mural he had painted on several garage doors at 295 Bartlett St.

This guy's work has been popping up all over, one of the pleasures of living in this corner of the city.

2 comments:

free movies online said...

I get the impression that he was more concerned with his work than his own safety

Rain Trueax said...

I can so relate to that as what I'd want to save is my cats and then laptop and jump drives. The very thought of losing all my work by a fire is terrifying. One reason I keep a jump drive stored always apart from the house.