Sunday, August 12, 2012

Time will work its magic

I guess I like this. It reminds me that the most searing events of my life -- the Civil Rights Movement and the Vietnam war -- have already sunk in the mists of history as far as most people around me are concerned.

Several items here need forgetting: I'd propose the Reagan Presidency, the Berlin Wall, and Clinton's Impeachment for that category.

Quite a few of these items I never noticed in their prime, like Return of the Jedi and New Coke.

2036 looks to be a very good year, flushing away the memory of a grandly distorting occasion of deadly theater.


I am reminded of Issac Watt's paraphrase of Psalm 90:

...The busy tribes of flesh and blood,
With all their lives and cares,
Are carried downwards by the flood,
And lost in following years.

Time, like an ever rolling stream,
Bears all its sons away;
They fly, forgotten, as a dream
Dies at the opening day. ...

I find nothing mournful in contemplating time. Time moves on.

Cartoon via Ryan Cooper at the Washington Monthly.

No comments: