Sunday, August 25, 2013

Recalling the 1963 March for Jobs and Freedom in 2013 in Oakland

"Let this moment be a spark!" the Rev. B.K. Woodson prayed.
Some of the small crowd, perhaps 200 over several hours. Labor groups brought many.
SambaFunk roused the crowd.
Many got moving ...
Delight helps ...
Pastor Wanda Johnson, mother of Oscar Grant, who was killed on New Years Day 2009 by a BART policeman
Ms. Johnson has responded to her unwelcome celebrity by becoming an inspiring speaker:

When my son was murdered, I just wanted to give up. But it was as if I heard Oscar whispering to me, saying we have to fight. We have to fight for rights for everyone. No one's life is worth more than another's. I know that, even though the man who killed my son only served 6 months in county jail.

We can make a change if we work together. If you have that calling -- to fight for justice -- don't give up the fight. We have to win equality for everyone.

Not all inspiration requires going to Washington.

No comments: