Monday, September 21, 2020

Stop with the whining ...


Maybe if I were a better Christian I would forgo offering this take -- but after mulling it over, I'm not that good.

The Roman Catholic archbishop of San Francisco and some of his flock are acting like whining cry babies over being barred by secular authorities from holding super-spreader events in their churches. I too am a eucharistic Christian -- I believe I am fed in the spirit when I partake in the communal meal that mysteriously is Jesus' body and blood offered to the gathered faithful (and even the merely confused). Communion is good for my soul. I miss not being able to have it during this pandemic time.

But I am also an adult Christian. I believe we are called to live not just for ourselves, and for our own desires, but for all the people among whom we live. And the scientists tell us that indoor church is probably a uniquely dangerous environment for this infectious disease -- people come close together for extended periods, they pray aloud, they sing -- all risks. And then they take their risks home to those they live with. Bars may be worse, but church is bad.

I'm not saying that churches are always called to bow to the dictates of secular authorities. Far from it. Faith may require resistance rooted in conscience on a range of matters. But I do not understand weighing postponement of communal practice which conflicts with public health among the deep issues of that should stir conscience. I worry far more about kids in cages and the federal government's renewed rush to carry out executions.  

I understand the archbishop feels put upon, planted here to serve in a city that is oblivious to his high opinion of the authority invested in him by his church. Even most Roman Catholics don't look to clerics to govern their consciences.

I think our Congresscritter, that faithful Roman Catholic Nancy Pelosi, said it best:

“I believe that science is an answer to our prayers,” Pelosi said. “It is a creation of God and one that is an answer to our prayers.”
In God's good time, assisted by our best human efforts against the virus, churches will fully reopen. Meanwhile, Mr. Archbishop, deal with the terrain set before you.

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

I seem to remember a parish here held Communion outside. In my own church I pick up the elements the week before so that on Sunday during online worship I can partake. If one can line up to vote why not line up for Communion?

janinsanfran said...

Bonnie, your church's is a fascinating solution I had not heard of. Wonder what other socially distancing churches are doing.

Joared said...

A thought that has crossed my mind is that no matter what they say and all the biblical verse they cite, I can't help wondering if the need for holding their traditional indoor group church services has more to do for some with a desire/need to pass the collection plate.