Friday, December 18, 2020

Pure joy!

Today our courtesy niece Tara Geraghty-Moats (#6) won the first ever Women's Nordic Combined World Cup competition in Ramsau am Dachstein, Austria. 

For decades women were excluded from the Scandianian-origin sport which starts with a ski jump and concludes with a cross country race.

"Today here in Ramsau was a dream come true, it was something that I was thinking about since I was 10 years old," said the 27-year-old.

"I just kept telling myself I could do it... huge thanks to my team and the FIS (International Ski Federation) for finally inviting the women to the big leagues."...

Women will also compete in the discipline at this year's Nordic World Ski Championships, which are being held in Oberstdorf, Germany, between February 23 and March 7.

However the sport's World Cup season could be very short, as after a series of cancellations due to the coronavirus pandemic, Friday's event was the only one left scheduled. (Story via France24)

 Way to go Tara!

No comments: