Friday, December 04, 2020

This seems perverse

The New York Times offers a calculator which enables you, based on age, location, and health condition, to visualize where you stand in line for a coronavirus vaccine. As a 73 year old resident of San Francisco County with no particular cardiovascular complications, it places me standing behind healthcare workers, nursing home residents and people with clearcut medical risk factors. 

But why should I be standing ahead of "essential workers" -- I assume that means grocery store clerks, bus drivers, and restaurant employees -- as well as teachers, homeless people and prisoners? None of these folks have anywhere near the power to control how much they risk infection that I have.

I'm an economically comfortable, retired person. Maybe I should be in line before the young adults. If I get COVID, it will be bad news for me and clog the medical system. 

But hey -- give the vaccine to those who have no power over their well being. That's what a decent society would do.

2 comments:

Brandon said...

I tried the calculator and placed near the end of the line.

janinsanfran said...

Brandon: I sure hope that makes you young and healthy!