Tuesday, July 25, 2023

A little law abiding would be a good thing ...

Erudite Partner is at it again, under this delicious headline:

Can an old lady be an outlaw? Interesting question. Does an old lady want to be an outlaw? That's my question.

Here's a tidbit of the story with which she opens this essay on unconstrained weaponry and climate destruction.

In 1963, the summer I turned 11, my mother had a gig evaluating Peace Corps programs in Egypt and Ethiopia. My younger brother and I spent most of that summer in France. We were first in Paris with my mother before she left for North Africa, then with my father and his girlfriend in a tiny town on the Mediterranean. (In the middle of our six-week sojourn there, the girlfriend ran off to marry a Czech she’d met, but that’s another story.)

In Paris, I saw American tourists striding around in their shorts and sandals, cameras slung around their necks, staking out positions in cathedrals and museums. I listened to my mother’s commentary on what she considered their boorishness and insensitivity. In my 11-year-old mind, I tended to agree. ...

Read all about it.

No comments: