Monday, November 20, 2023

Tis the season

This timely admonition shared by a friend seems a good way to begin Thanksgiving week. It's been very quiet here on a Martha's Vineyard, staying in a big family house uninterrupted by much of anyone except the various contractors installing HVAC improvements.

But now the season of The Holidays begins. From Thanksgiving through the Super Bowl (my mental calendar; yours may differ), life gets crowded. I'm ambivalent about the season. Who could not like holidays? But they stir up a lot of felt demands and emotional clutter for an introvert. 

And there are so many more observances in this time period than are customary to majorities in US culture. We are aware of Hanukkah, Christmas, perhaps Winter Solstice. But what about Bodhi Day or Human Rights Day or Boxing Day? 

Here in the northern hemisphere, we may be attuned to fading and returning light; I, for one, need this awareness.

Blogging may become sporadic in this season of holidays, though every time I make that announcement, the world seems to throw something at me that I fail to resist commenting on.

No comments: