Saturday, February 17, 2024

Schooled by Fani Willis' Daddy

When Fulton County Georgia District Attorney Fani Willis testified that she could not produce receipts showing she had reimbursed her boy friend for joint vacations because she always paid large sums of cash, I did think this a weird practice. Maybe not suspicious in itself, but odd. Who carries gobs of cash?

When former U.S. attorney for the Northern District of Alabama Joyce Vance read the same assertion, she commented

... her testimony that she was in the habit of using cash because it was what her Daddy taught her will ring true to people who understand the culture in the Deep South.

I suspected I was missing something ... and I was.

Fani Willis's father, the distinguished international lawyer John Clifford Ford III, explained in court why he advised his accomplished daughter to hold and pay in cash.

Floyd said he was the one who advised Willis to always carry cash — and to keep “six months worth of cash always.”
“Excuse me, your honor, I’m not trying to be racist, okay, but it’s a Black thing,” Floyd said. He told a story about attempting to pay for his family’s meal at a Cambridge, Mass., restaurant; Floyd was at Harvard on a fellowship, and Willis was 3 years old at the time, he recalled. “The man would not take my American Express credit card. So I pulled out my Visa card, and he wouldn’t take my Visa card.” The same with his traveler’s checks. But the $10 bill Floyd had — that was accepted.
“I’ll never forget that as long as I live,” Floyd said.
Not only did Floyd keep three safes in his own home, he gifted his daughter “her first cash box,” he added.
When she testified, Willis said cash meant financial independence and security, values her father had taught her.

It would be nice to think those days are over. But are they? By trying to use this Georgia court proceeding to humiliate an accomplished Black woman prosecutor who is chasing him down, Donald Trump and his minions are striving with all their might to bring those days back.

No comments: