Growing up on the US-Canada border, our big neighbor to the north was simply an ordinary part of my youth. Cross-border Canadian TV stations were where I could watch the National Hockey League. The parkway along the Canadian side of the Niagara River was where I ventured for morning long flat runs; the river itself was where I sailed my Sailfish to a foreign shore. None of this seemed extraordinary.
Canada was another country, a nearby country, a different country, a country I liked and respected.
Canada's Prime Minister Mark Carney has Donald Trump's number and calls him out:
“We’ve recognized from the start that America has changed. We recognize that sometimes, its signature is written in pencil.”
US demands on Canada are mere bullying, rooted in a Trump fantasy of imperial annexaton.
Per historian Philips P. O'Brien:
Canada is faced with a USA that is now fundamentally dishonest and rapacious. Moreover, it is faced with a US government that denies its ultimate right to exist and speaks openly (and regularly) about how Canada should be annexed into the USA.
I bet on the moose; integrity and grit count and we've lost ours along with our brains. The Canadians, not so much.

No comments:
Post a Comment