Thursday, January 03, 2008

Meme of Seven

Blogging will be light for a bit as I am staying with family in a house without internet while we tend to and accompany as far as we can a loved relative who is leaving us for whatever comes next.

A few weeks back I got tagged with a meme by Manegee. The rules:

1) Link to the person that tagged you, and post the rules on your blog.
2) Share seven facts about yourself.
3) Tag seven random people at the end of your post, and include links to their blogs.
4) Let each person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

I'm going to bend the rules. I did one of these with six factoids awhile back; I'm bored with my many oddities. This time I'm going to post seven photographs I've taken over the years and tell you a little about what they show, and if relevant, what I was doing there.


If you hike out the Bear Valley trail to the Pacific Ocean at Point Reyes, this is where you arrive. Not bad, is it? It's about 8 miles, round trip, and quite flat. I like to run it.


She (yes, the horns reveal the breed, not the gender) didn't think I belonged in her pasture. She knew I'd back off if she approached me slowly. In that Montana field, I edged away, knowing what was good for me.


A lot of what attracts me to high places is their ruggedness, their rocky ridges. This shows the summits of two Colorado peaks that rise to more than 14000 feet, Grays and Torreys. By midday the clear morning light had given way to an electrical storm that sent us running off the heights.


Cities have their high points too. This is Louisville's skyline at dawn.


And the earth has its own secret places. If we could venture into its burning depths, I wonder where this Yellowstone fumarole would reveal?


Belize's keys present an image of paradise. Since I took this picture, oil has been found in that remote country and who knows what will happen to Eden? The nearby coral reef is already suffering from defiled seas.


Salcontay Peak, over 20000 feet high, looms over this Andean plateau in Peru, a dry pasture land at over 13000 feet. The Indios who live in these remote places welcome tourists who'll buy a soda or hire a horse to carry baggage. If enough of us go, their lives will change radically. Who decides whether inescapable change is good?

Who to tag wth this elastic meme? How about Kate's Thoughts, Jane at Acts of Hope, Surf Putah, Grandmere Mimi, Pisco. Elizabeth at The Cassandra Pages, and anyone else who wants to play.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

An amazing display! Thanks so much for sharing. Happy New Year! paz

Jane R said...

Cool! Thanks. Gorgeous photos.

I already played the seven odd facts thing this summer but will pick up on your tag for this meme and do a seven-part something in the next few days. Thanks for making the meme flexible. Great idea.

Prayers and solidarity for your family accompaniment. (Write me off-blog if you want, I'm in hiding on a big writing project for the next ten days but I do check e-mail now and again. Trying to blog a little less this week now that the holidays are over. We'll see how that goes.

Civic Center said...

Thanks for not tagging me, and thanks for the wonderful photos and captions/koans. Happy new year, my digital friend, and may the trip to wherever be filled with some contentment and not too much pain.