Monday, January 28, 2008

On running across the country



Yippee, I finally made it out of Virginia and crossed into Kentucky. I'm "running" across the country on a Transamerica route made available at the National Health Survey out of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

We have designed a transcontinental virtual trip across the United States. Each time you enter your mileage, we add it to your total and show you exactly what you would see if you had been traveling from Yorktown, Virginia to Florence, Oregon.

I began counting my mileage on this trip last August. So far I've gone 562 miles.


It is going to be a long trek. The total distance across the country is 4063 miles -- probably about 4 years of plugging along for me. Gotta keep trekking, one foot in front of the other.

The best thing about this virtual trip is that every time I add a few miles, I get a new picture of my location. My current location, outside Elkhorn, KY, is posted in the side bar. From now on, every few weeks I'll change the picture to show my current location. But don't expect fast progress -- I've got another 500 miles to go in Kentucky, so that will be another six months. It is a big country.

No comments: