Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Primary election day in the Mission

1xpolling-place-big-sign.jpg
Been there -- done that. At 7:45 a.m., I was the only one there. Mysteriously, the lobby smelled strongly of marijuana.

2california-primary.jpg
Hope turnout goes up as the day goes on. This is supposed to be a record setting day.

3polling-place.jpg
The partisans had tacked up their last flyers 100 feet away.

4Hillary-change.jpg

5obama-gigante.jpg

Yes -- I voted for Obama. That became inevitable when Edwards dropped out. I've seen Clintons; I didn't like the first one (above all else because of his cave on welfare); I don't want another one.

But by voting for Obama, I don't say I'm supporting Obama. I'm supporting values of democracy, some equity, some decency and more rule of law through a blunt instrument that is available to me. Oh yes, Obama's a good one. But Presidents are what we, the people, make them. Should we be so fortunate as to get a President Obama, we'll have to stay on his case and push for a different, better country. Nothin' else to do.

3 comments:

Civic Center said...

Enjoyed the marijuana detail. Sometimes it's the only way to get through an election pollworker day, though 7:35 feels a bit too wake and bake for me.

I'm working and making money these days so I wasn't the "inspector" of my precinct this election, and when I woke at 6AM this morning and realized I could go back to sleep, the euphoria was nothing less than exquisite.

I'm about to go to Kilowatt at 16th & Valencia for an election party the Bay Guardian is putting on (7-9). Come down for a beer and we'll toast one to Obama, who indeed I voted for but don't necessarily SUPPORT.

Happy election day.

naomi dagen bloom said...

pleased to see 4-language poster on your blog too. do you think they are special to your city and mine--new york?

curious that the media have ignored noticing the concerns and presence of asian voters.

naomi www.alittleredhen.com

janinsanfran said...

Naomi -- I think the multiple language posters appear in jurisdictions where some past civil rights enforcement court decision concluded that there were a significant number of citizens/voters who needed language help to be able to exercise the franchise.

That ought to include the entire state of California, but I don't know if it does. This is one of the things I love about this state.