Thursday, April 11, 2013

A perennial outrage recurs: hospital bars gay partner

We like to think stuff like this doesn't happen any longer, but unhappily it can. According to Roger Gorley, a Kansas City Hospital refused to let him stay with his domestic partner for whom he has a power of attorney. They had him arrested and removed and got a restraining order to keep him away.

There's the inevitable Change.org petition asking for an apology from the hospital.

The right to visit was the chief selling point for San Francisco's ground breaking domestic partner initiative in 1990. Apparently we still have to keep having these fights.

2 comments:

Damon said...

This is disgusting. It's a crime that something my wife and I take for granted is something that is denied to other couples. I've lived long enough to see a black man in the White House, I hope to see a woman there before I die, but I don't think I'll ever live long enough to see homophobia and hatred disappear. And that makes me sad.

Kay Dennison said...

What Damon said.