Saturday, January 25, 2014

Saturday scenes and scenery: San Francisco buddhas, pt. 3

I keep encountering these as I walk the city's precincts: statues of the Buddha hidden in gardens or overlooking entrances. Some examples:









Apparently I shouldn't be surprised. This map shows the prevalence of non-Christian groups across the country. I didn't know that in the west, Buddhists are the largest group. (Source: Washington Post)


Previous collections in this series: part 1 and part 2.

These photos are by-products from my photoblog project: 596 Precincts -- Walking San Francisco. If intrigued, take a look and sign up for sporadic email updates.

1 comment:

Rain Trueax said...

Love the photos, of course, a Buddha doesn't always mean someone practices the religion. I have two Buddhas, one inside and one out in the garden, a Kwan Yin, some Greek and Roman figures, Native American Deer Dancers, etc. I practice no religion but do like spiritual symbols in my gardens. Down here in Tucson it's a 6' Native American St. Francis among others. I've been looking for a good Isis but so far no luck ;)