Thursday, June 08, 2023

From the pest house ...

First off, I should say that Covid is not being very miserable. Some fevers, a little woozy, but mostly necessary isolation even from the EP who has advanced to a negative test. I yearn to follow.

Click to enlarge.
After some mild bureaucratic obstacle jumping, my Kaiser doctors prescribed paxlovid -- and I just want to share that the drug's packaging is a revelation. Pictured above.

Why don't most drugs come with packaging which embodies the instructions as this does? You just do what it says ... it is even color coded.

I raise that because, right before I caught the Covid, I'd been taking a week long course of an antibiotic as a preventive precaution when having a tooth extracted. You know -- I was prescribed a neat little bottle of 21 pills to be ingested three times a day. And within a couple of days, pre-Covid, I found myself confused: had I really taken the morning dose? Or the midday one? I just did the best I could.

I know that there are specialized pill boxes for this sort of thing. Or I could have created a card to check off the doses as I took them. But wouldn't it be better if the packaging the drug comes in did the trick, easing compliance? 

In particular, Medicare should require drug companies to package all drugs we old timers might take in this instructive way. Just a thought.

No comments: