Sunday, June 04, 2023

Public libraries might be civilization's best idea

Here's a fine way to celebrate LGBTQ+ existence. A librarian shares:

I think often about the teenager who, years ago, asked me if we had any LGBTQ+ self help books at the library. We did.

I walked with them to show them where. Once in the stacks, I told them there was no limit to the number of books you could check out.

They said they didn’t have a card and they didn’t want to sign up for one cause they didn’t want their mom to find out what they were reading. I’d like to think the reason for that is simply because this teenager just wasn’t ready to have that convo with a parent…

I told them they didn’t need to check out books, that they could find a comfy spot to sit and read as much and as long as they’d like.

As I walked away, I turned and said, “for what it’s worth, we don’t have security sensors here.”

I think *so* often about that teenager and about all the folks who have felt safe enough to be vulnerable at the library. I hope the books helped them.

My mother would have liked this. Except perhaps the veiled encouragement to the kid to abscond with a book. She was a children's librarian who believed fiercely that young people should be encouraged to read anything that would hold their interest and good would come of it. When I was nine, she marched me into the local branch public library, got me a card, and told the staff I could take out anything I wanted. Many of my choices were gruesome accounts of wars past.

There simply weren't any books that would help me come to terms with being a lesbian. Now there are.

No comments: