Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving table talk for gays and friends


I no longer recognize marriage. It’s a new thing I'm trying.

Turns out it's fun.

Yesterday I called a woman's spouse her boyfriend.

She says, correcting me, "He's my husband."

"Oh," I say, "I no longer recognize marriage."

The impact is obvious. I tried it on a man who has been in a relationship for years,

"How’s your longtime companion, Jill?"

"She's my wife!"

"Yeah, well, my beliefs don't recognize marriage."

Fun. And instant, eyebrow-raising recognition.

Tom Ackerman,
Religion Dispatches

Do read the whole thing. In the aftermath of Prop. 8, the result might be quite bracing.

H/t Meteor Blades at Daily Kos.

1 comment:

Kay Dennison said...

All I can say is, fair's fair! If we straights won't recognize your marriage, why would you want to recognize ours? I kind of like this idea. I, of course, recognize marriage no matter who the vict . . . er . . . ahhh, participants (yeah, that's it) are. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Jan!