Thursday, March 04, 2010

Health care reform shorts:
About time, Mr. President


Today Obama laid it on the line, finally insisting that Democratic majorities in Congress pass something:

At stake right now is not just our ability to solve this problem, but our ability to solve any problem. The American people want to know if it's still possible for Washington to look out for their interests and their future. They are waiting for us to act. They are waiting for us to lead.

And as long as I hold this office, I intend to provide that leadership. I don't know how this plays politically, but I know it's right. And so I ask Congress to finish its work, and I look forward to signing this reform into law.

TPM

Glad you noticed this needed some leadership. What took you so long?

That's a serious question. Even if the President doesn't give a damn about health care "reform" (and I suspect he does want this to work), simple political self interest might have been expected to get him working visibly to pass this thing. But for months, nothing.

The punditocracy is kicking around whether to blame the White House staff. But this is Obama's show -- it's up to him to take control. Let's hope his remarks today signal he's going to get on with the job.

No comments: