Thursday, February 21, 2019

Just for fun

I found this video delicious, perhaps because I was the sort of child who would have delighted in such a "playground." I don't remember there being any playgrounds in the urban neighborhood where I grew up. There was the street -- not heavily traveled, good for playing catch or in winter throwing snowballs at cars. There were back yards, some accessed by wandering up some neighbor's driveway, others by climbing a fence. There were garages -- ostensibly off limits, though not always in actuality. And, best of all, there were garage roofs, sometimes reached by climbing power poles. At best, it was possible to traverse multiple yards jumping from roof to roof.

My entire childhood urban landscape was an "adventure playground." We amused ourselves for hours without adult supervision. Yes, there was risk ... but we lived through it; I don't even remember any terrible injuries.

1 comment:

Celia said...

Your childhood playground sounds like mine. Brought back a lot of memories.