Saturday, January 04, 2020

Seasonal resolutions

It's New Years resolution season. That thought tempts me to announce "I don't make resolutions -- I make plans." But that's bull-bleep! The older I get, the more aware I become that, although I can form intentions and set goals, ill winds or accidents or bad luck can derail anything I come up with. This was always true, but gets more apparent approaching my 73rd turn around the sun.

So no resolutions from here.

My friend and mentor in blogging Ronni Bennett has a better suggestion for old folks: "... skip the whole idea and keep doing what you've been doing if that's what you enjoy. " I like that.

She asked her blog community to share any resolutions they might have and the results did have a unifying theme, much like this:

... at 80 yrs. old my fondest wish also is to see Trump unseated. I can't even begin to think of what it will be like if he isn't. Second to that, I am wishing that we all unite to concentrate on cleaning up the mess we've made of our beautiful earth. I am so sad to see what we're leaving future generations to face.

According to the Pew polling outfit, the only age cohort among whom Donald Trump enjoys a true majority of support is the so-called Silent Generation.

The Silent Generation (born 1928 to 1945) is the only generational group that has more GOP leaners and identifying voters than Democratic-oriented voters. About half (52%) of Silent Generation voters identify with or lean toward the Republican Party, a larger share than a decade ago; 43% identify with or lean toward the Democratic Party.

If it seems surprising that all other age cohorts lean at least slightly Democratic, you have to remember that each successor generation group is less overwhelmingly white. Back in the day, this was a much whiter country, and being white is good predictor of Republican leanings.

Ronni's commenters understand where the future they may not see is going. Happy New Year to us all!

2 comments:

Sandra de Helen said...

I might be part of the "Silent Generation," but I am not Republican, and I am not silent. I appreciate your blog posts more every passing year.

janinsanfran said...

Thanks, Sandra. Not planning on stopping churning this material out any time soon.