Sunday, August 16, 2020

Check your voter registration NOW!

A couple of days ago, in what seemed just a random conversation on Facebook among friends of friends, I suggested that everyone should check whether they were really registered. I didn't expect much reaction -- these were (apparently) employed, tech-functional people, the kind who always vote. Most of them remembered voting in the various state spring primaries.

To my astonishment, and to several of theirs, out of a couple of dozen, two found they were not recorded as registered. Even though they had voted within the last year.

So -- it looks as if everyone who cares about the upcoming election had better check, probably repeatedly until they have their mail-in ballot in hand or have voted in one of the in-person methods, to make sure they are on the rolls.

Voting methods, rules, and procedures are set by each of the states, sometimes with additional variations by county. Fortunately, there are at least two national websites which enable everyone, anywhere, to find out if they are registered. These get their information for the 50 state offices usually called Secretary of State. Try one or the other right now:

vote.org

voteamerica.com

If you want more in depth information about state deadlines, such as for registration,  mail-in ballot applications, changes to early voting dates and locations, FiveThirtyEight is doing its best to provide. That link leads to a live map (the picture here is NOT live) where you can click on your state to learn about voting rules.

Looks as if every one of us is going to have to fight voter suppression this year by learning the ropes and spreading the word to everyone we know.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

I had checked to be sure we can get our mail in ballots. What I can't find out is if daughter doesn't trust the mail and wants to drop them off...where? I went directly to the voters page, isn't written guess I should call them.

Brandon said...

I know I'm registered but I checked anyway at vote.org. Sure enough, I am.