Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Where you gonna go?

After decades of anxious women eyeing me suspiciously in public bathrooms (my appearance doesn't gender-track for some people), I'm conscious of bathroom signage.

Here's a fine specimen of New Hospital Modern -- welcoming in an antiseptic fashion.

And here's how we do it in a campaign office where a lot of people boasting different gender experiences and expressions, as well as different languages and cultures, mix and mingle.

I think of this one as Improvised Inclusive -- not a bad label for the culture some of us are striving to build in these UnUnited States.

5 comments:

Brandon said...

"After decades of anxious women eyeing me suspiciously in public bathrooms (my appearance doesn't gender-track for some people)"

Did you ever ask them why they were looking at you?

janinsanfran said...

Dear Brandon -- sure. This has been known to cause them to jump, awkwardly. :-)

Anonymous said...

As an entirely gender-normative-looking woman, I cannot wait for the day when all restrooms are gender neutral, because I walk into men’s rooms if there is a line for the women’s.

Celia said...

In the "old days" forty years ago I visited a lot of men's restrooms especially at the swimming pool cuz I have sons. They'd go in and not come out busy being little boys. I stick my head in the door and yell "Mom coming in" and retrieve them. Some of the larger Seattle parks in those days I would just go in with them. I too use the men's room when the line to the women's is long. Gender neutral.

Celia said...

Gender neutral is the way to go in my opinion.