Monday, February 20, 2023

Good riddance

By the time the fourth scooter riding on the sidewalk nearly flattened me during a two mile walk around Mission streets, I'd had it. And then this oblivious idiot came along, looking like a tourist out to turn wheelies among the wild San Franciscans on a busy sidewalk. He was part of a small pack, all looking to be frolicking non-residents.

Go play on your home turf, wherever that may be, and leave us alone.

Heather Knight of the San Francisco Chronicle moans that the Bird scooter company is planning to abandon the city, claiming burdensome regulations. I am completely prepared to believe that the city is miserable to deal with. But I will not miss any scooter company that cuts and runs. These things are dangerous to pedestrians and I have no hope for effective enforcement of any city restrictions. That's just not how things work around here.

3 comments:

Civic Center said...

I am seriously considering buying a cane just to whack them with. When I was recovering from hip surgery, I was encouraged to take walks for rehab but was frankly terrified because my neighborhood sidewalks are like scooter freeways.

Anonymous said...

Canes are excellent.

Brandon said...

Another city and mode of transportation, but the same basic problem.