Sunday, May 14, 2023

My mother at age 18

1926

In other photos from that year, Martha looks more self-assured, perhaps a little flirtatious.  But not here, in what I think was a formal portrait taken before she launched off to college, wearing her most serious coat and her prized fox neck wrap. 

Mother never quite knew how to dress to present herself as she might have wished to be seen.

She was quite beautiful actually, tall, and moved with confidence. But there was a diffidence too -- you can see it in her expression here. She already shows a little wistfulness -- why, I don't know.

She was smart and curious. College looked to her like heaven; she could read constantly. Physical culture (gym classes) were not required, though she happily walked and swam. She might have become an academic, except that the economic collapse of 1929 meant she had to come home and help with the family.

She meant always to do her duty and to be responsible. Whatever that meant.

One of the things responsibility meant was that she and my father didn't bring a child (me) into the world until after 15 years of marriage during the Depression and World War II. 

She was an excellent, loving, conscientious mother. I'm glad the photos of the younger Martha exist to show me a little of the earnest girl-woman she was before my happy incursion into their life.

No comments: