Friday, January 16, 2009

Gaza on his mind


A Palestinian family flee their neighborhood following an Israeli army operation in Gaza city, Thursday, Jan. 15, 2009. Israeli tanks shelled downtown Gaza City on Thursday and ground troops thrust deep into a crowded neighborhood for the first time, sending terrified residents fleeing for cover... (AP Photo/Khalil Hamra)

I had to hold my 17-year-old son down on the bed after he heard the news. His strength really shocked me. I was gripping his upper arms as tightly as I could to hold him flat on the bed, but he was spitting with rage, tears streaming down his face. I was shouting, "Stop! Please stop!" but he was pushing up at me hard, his face twisting like his body underneath me. He was fighting with everything he had in order to be able to get up, run down the stairs and get out of the house. All I knew at that moment was that I couldn't let him leave.

We were in his bedroom in London and I had just given him the news that his grandmother had been blown to pieces by a rocket in Israel. Jordy had lost his other grandmother five months earlier to cancer. This time there was someone to blame.

Our pain and his rage opened a window up for me on to what is happening in Gaza. There are thousands and thousands of young men who have experienced - or are experiencing - that rage in Gaza and the West Bank, and their fathers and grandfathers have no doubt experienced it too. When I heard in the days that followed Shuli's death that they handed out sweets in Gaza to celebrate the fact that the rocket had hit a target, I was appalled.

Now with all I have seen over the last two weeks in Gaza, part of me feels: why wouldn't they celebrate?

Paul Kaye,
The Guardian,
January 16, 2008

I have no words to add about my horror at what my country is assisting Israel to do to the people of Gaza. But I urge anyone stopping by here to read all of Paul Kaye's story.

1 comment:

Darlene said...

The tragedy of this horrible hatred is suffered by the innocents. I weep for both sides in their losses.

When will peace finally come to the Mideast? When will the leaders stop using weapons and start using words?