Not a good day for turkeys.
On this most familial of holidays, I decided to take a family poll. This holiday, we're five older white U.S. adults, ranging from a youthful 57 to nearly 80, well read, well informed, and inclined to liberalism. Sorry, no outliers here; we're a pretty heterogeneous bunch.
Here's the question:
And the answers I got:
- Nelson Mandela: the greatest statesman alive.
- Barack Obama: not so much for what he has accomplished as for the symbolism of his election
- Bill Moyers: his PBS Journal TV program has set the standard for a political blog -- informative, sometimes breaking news, thoughtful and still idiosyncratically personal
- Paul Farmer: medical doctor and social irritant best known for his work bringing health care to the poor, especially in Haiti
- Berto Nevin: "because I'm still here."