Sunday, November 01, 2009

A visit to Muir Woods

1glade.jpg

What to do with a Nicaraguan guest who works on rural sanitation, water systems and reforestation projects? Take her to Muir Woods National Monument to walk among the redwoods, naturally.

A few photos from that corridor of light and shadow:
2tree-light.jpg

3red-trunks.jpg

4canopy.jpg
It's fun to look straight up in such a tall forest.

4a-trees-reflected-in-stream.jpg
Or at reflections in the stream.

5light-thru-trees.jpg
As well as toward the light.

6mossy-trunk.jpg
The moss likes it the dark and damp (I needed a flash).

7burl!.jpg
The trees grow burls at their bases that enable them to throw out green shoots.

8forest-path.jpg
The light seems unnaturally bright on the way out.

3 comments:

Cinderellen said...

Gorgeous photos of a lovely place. I hope to see it in person some day, but until then can feast on everyone's beautiful pictures.

Rona Fernandez said...

nice pics! we were just in muir woods last weekend. such a magical place.

Darlene said...

Thank you so much for the trip to Muir Woods. My sister recommended it to me, but my kids were never able to take me. Now, thanks to you, I have seen it digitally.