Saturday, January 09, 2016

Saturday scenery: guard lions in the city

Until I started Walking San Francisco, I had no idea that purveyors of domestic lion statuary had been so ubiquitous and apparently popular.

Not every example is quite so sober as the standard porch lion pictured above.

This one seems to be trying to enhance his magnificence, not very successfully.

Is he sleeping off a good meal? I wouldn't count on him to do much guarding.

Though the eyes are the most notable feature, I also had to wonder whether the mold for this one had been a horse in a previous casting lot.

What's this fellow been smoking?

Somehow the damage here makes this cat even more impassively powerful.

I have scores more San Francisco lions; every neighborhood provides more examples. There will be many more lion posts.

No comments: