Saturday, April 30, 2016

Saturday scenes and scenery: the Panhandle

If I were not Walking San Francisco, I would have never known that the "panhandle" extension of Golden Gate Park was an electoral precinct. I guess it makes a kind of sense. People without houses can register to vote in this city; they are required to furnish a location so the authorities can decide which ballot they qualify for. (They can list a mail drop to receive the ballot.) At times there have been lots of unhoused people who might call the Panhandle home; apparently they have registered here.

It is certainly a pretty place.

And much used by groups of friends at play ...

solitary reading ...

guitar practice ...

and creativity.

I'm not quite sure what the project is ...

but this set seem to be having fun in the sun.

On the one hand, I see remnants of the old "hippie" Haight-Ashbury of which the Panhandle was an extension. On the other, folks here seem more monochromatically white than I remember from those old days.

No comments: