Saturday, February 11, 2006

Culture of life

Damn I love my city! I ran out to the store yesterday to get supplies for a potluck. Went by a busy intersection and vaguely noticed a poster on a bus shelter. The city sells advertising space on them; naturally no one looks at them. The intersection is one of the city's main transit stops in a rundown, mostly Latino neighorhood.

And then I did a double take. Here's what I saw:


If you can't quite read the writing, go visit Condoms4Life.

Somehow I don't think the hierarchy is quite as happy with this campaign as I was.

UPDATE:
There's also a whole country to celebrate:

The Brazilian government will distribute 25 million free condoms to promote safe sex during the country's Carnival holidays, the Health Ministry said on Monday....

"It's that time of year when we boost distribution because of the increase in demand," an official from the Health Ministry's anti-AIDS program said....

The Roman Catholic Church in Brazil -- the world's largest Catholic country -- routinely denounces such programs as encouraging sex and contravening its stand against contraception.

No comments: