Friday, October 23, 2020

Election rounds into the home stretch

So I didn't watch the debate -- because I was busy, calling voters who had at some time said they supported Joe Biden, but hadn't yet voted according to their county registrar. So I got to talk to quite a few Nevadans who were watching last night.

They were not happy with Trump. "I just hope I never have to see that man again!" one exclaimed.

Columnist Frank Bruni, who did have to tune in because it is his job, writes in the same vein on the morning after:

Enough of this campaign. Enough of this administration. Enough of the ambient ugliness in America right now. It’s time to turn the page, and that’s what, in his utterly unremarkable but strangely reassuring fashion, Biden promised to do on Thursday night. ...

I nodded along with his final remarks, when he said, yet again: “What is on the ballot here is the character of this country: decency, honor, respect, treating people with dignity.” He’s right about that. And he’s the right person because of that.

“You know who I am, you know who he is,” Biden said earlier. “Look at us closely.” I don’t need to turn my eyes toward Trump anymore. I’ve seen all that I can take, and I’m long past ready for a different view.

Eleven days remain until Election Day.

No comments: