Tuesday, May 10, 2022

On learning to live together

Judd Legum, at his Popular Information substack, continues to follow the story of the Florida math textbooks which that state's book burners have rejected as teaching the forbidden "critical race theory" (some might allude to the country's racial history) and also the dreaded "Social Emotional Learning." Here's an example of this dangerously subversive notion:

What a terrible thought ...

Every time I read about this I'm reminded an episode I've written about before: the college baseball players at the University of San Francisco who were distressed and confused by coaches who taught using dick-waving and brutal displays of dominance. These young men walked away, feeling violated. They also sued the school.

Kids raised on "learn your words," on "listen" to each other, and on "work together," do become resistant to teaching methods that demand they become competitive brutes. I think that's a good thing.

• • •

For an inspiring example of how young people might learn about racism in this society, I recommend Eboo Patel's essay, What I Want My Kids to Learn About American Racism. We should be able to teach what cannot be ignored, constructively.

No comments: