Friday, January 05, 2024

Free!

After a week on stand-by, I'm excused from jury duty. As were, according to the court website, all of us in every group who were in the pool this past week.

No surprise to be excused. The last few times I've been called went like this. I appreciate the convenience of checking my status online, but come away with questions.

Does the county actually still run jury trials? Or is the system so complex and expensive that litigants (this was civil court) nearly always settle without a trial? Or do they have the option of going to a non-jury trial in which a judge decides the dispute? That might be a better deal if the matter is complicated.

I'm ambivalent about jury duty. I believe firmly that this crazy system of ours only works if we participate. But I'm not thrilled about the (potential) interruption. Guess I'm normal.

Anyone have any thoughts about jury duty?

1 comment:

Civic Center said...

I love jury duty. Was on a wrongful termination case for two months at the fancy Superior Court building a block from my apartment on McAllister and had a fascinating time. It was like being in an immersive theater piece where you get to help determine the ending. And in terms of watching very different people with very different values hash things out, the experience is singular.