Wednesday, January 31, 2024

MAGA in cloud cuckoo land

 
For a third day, mainstream media outlets seem to be enjoying the spectacle of right wingers going ballistic over their theory that the NFL rigged the Super Bowl participants to showcase "lefties" Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce. The panic over Swift -- she urges her fans to vote and even endorsed Biden in 2020 -- is deliciously funny. 
 
But this looney tunes circus can only flourish because Right America lives in a closed information environment full of nonsense. Political organizer Simon Rosenberg just got off a righteous rant about this alternative world which he knows well. Even Donald Trump himself is captive to its fantasies.
Listening to Trump’s mind-blowing rants ... got me thinking about how much of a bubble the American right lives in now. Fortified and protected by an enormous propaganda machine, the right lives a world of profound untruth and invention. My friend Greg Sargent once referred to this fictional world as Foxlandia. It’s a place they go where Trump is a strong leader, the economy is in recession, eggs cost $27 a piece, inflation is still raging, Putin is an ally and the West is sinister, antifa is ISIS, dozens of American cities burned to the ground in 2020, vaccines give you COVID, insurrectionists are hostages, children carrying their rapist’s babies is a blessing, assault weapons bring freedom, etc. It is, to borrow from one of my favorite TV shows, Stranger Things, the upside down.

I was a regular, unpaid guest on Fox News for 17 years, logging thousands of appearances, mostly in the days when Fox still aspired to be “Fair and Balanced.” I went on for up until the end I was able to say my piece without interruption. It was a tough environment, but “fair” and I thought it important Fox viewers got to hear from us. 
 
All that changed after Trump won and Roger Ailes died. The network stopped aspiring to be “Fair and Balanced” and Democrats became not players on the other team but enemies, to be treated with contempt. Part of that contempt was that I could feel Fox and MAGA leaving the world of facts and understandings I inhabited, retreating deeper and deeper into this imaginary world.
 
In this final days of my time there I had a few segments where the host brought up something for me to comment on that I literally had no idea what they were talking about and had to bluff through it on air. It was is if MAGA had become a dialect of American English, using “alternative facts” and often obscure cultural references, which required translation.

In thinking about it today what I am describing perhaps should be understood as a form of secession from the United States and our democratic heritage. MAGA may still be physically here in the US, but many of its followers have left our shared information space, and now live in their heads some place else - Foxlandia, the upside down, MAGA - a place of untruth, of strongmen, of Trumpian ding-ding, of danger for the rest of us.

The 2024 election is going to be about whether there is a majority of this country that lives in the real world. I think there is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully , that majority votes...