Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A year's progress


For the last 17 months, I've been "running" across the country. The quotation marks are meant to convey two meanings.
  • As I've aged, I've become so very slow that calling what I do "running" is a courtesy rather than an fact. An unbiased observer might label my gait "fast walking." Or even just "walking." But I can't see myself, so I'll call it "running" til I can't do it anymore.
  • My "running" distance is virtual. Following the Transamerica Bicycle Route, I've progressed to the 1534 mile mark, within sight of Kansas. I added 1069 miles this year, not a bad total for a year with so much travel. At this rate, I'll get to the Pacific Ocean in about 2 and half more years.
A view of where I've got to (more or less up to date) lives at the bottom of the right hand sidebar.

No comments: