Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Obama administration admits defeat ...


Out of deference to a fraidy-cat Congress addicted to the political benefits of scaring people into sheep-like obedience, the Obama administration has embraced the Bush administration's emblematic betrayal of US adherence to the rule of law. They are giving up on closing Guantanamo.

This would seem a less egregious betrayal of the better implications of United States history if they've at least put up a fight for legality. But no -- we affirm our status as the planet's most powerful rogue state with a pathetic whimper by an underling sent out to take the fall.

4 comments:

Rain Trueax said...

it's one of my biggest disappointments on him and there have been many but it's right up there. He has proven he's not a leader. The question is then what is he... I still don't regret my support of him given the alternatives but I'd really like to see a strong Democrat run against him in the 2012 primaries...

Anonymous said...

Right - now all we need is a "strong Democrat."

Unknown said...

I am so with you on this one! I voted for him - I worked for him - but then I was a volunteer driver for John Edwards....so sad....we need a really strong Democrat to run for President! Bring back Bill??

janinsanfran said...

The concept "strong Democrat" keeps coming up. I think I know what Rain and Jeanie mean -- they want Democratic leaders who think their job is to be on the side of the middle and working classes, that is, of most of us.

However, most politicians don't seem to cut the world that way. Instead, they divide the world into people with money who can help their careers and people without money who must, at best, be appeased. This is a sad truth, but one being proved daily.

The only comfort I can take in this situation is my historically rooted knowledge that it was ever thus. And despite the vast advantages of money and power, majorities of ordinary people do, over and over, rise up to demand to be listened to and make leaders follow. Right now we are seeing this in the Arab revolt. We can see it here, if we are willing to work and organize and sacrifice and raise a lot of hell. That's the true path pointed to by the establisment cliche: "there is no alternative."