Sunday, November 15, 2020

Denial

We're wearing out the people on whom we depend to keep us well and heal us. Health-care workers can’t go on like this.

Out of respect for these workers, here's a thread from an ER nurse, @Jody Doering: 

I have a night off from the hospital. As I’m on my couch with my dog I can’t help but think of the Covid patients the last few days. The ones that stick out are those who still don’t believe the virus is real. The ones who scream at you for a magic medicine and that Joe Biden is going to ruin the USA. 
 
All while gasping for breath on 100% Vapotherm. They tell you there must be another reason they are sick. They call you names and ask why you have to wear all that “stuff” because they don’t have COVID because it’s not real. Yes. This really happens. 
 
And I can’t stop thinking about it. These people really think this isn’t going to happen to them. And then they stop yelling at you when they get intubated. 
 
It’s like a fucking horror movie that never ends. There’s no credits that roll. You just go back and do it all over again.

 Which is what I will do for the next three nights. But tonight. It’s me and Cliff and Oreo ice cream. And how ironic I have on my “home” hoodie. 

The South Dakota I love seems far away right now. 

4 comments:

Vagabonde said...

I know exactly what this nurse is talking about. Both my youngest daughter and her husband are physicians. My daughter told me that all the beds in her small hospital (in suburban Nashville) are full – they can’t even take care of heart attacks or car wreck patients, she is exhausted. This is why I have been by myself since March – they don’t want to unknowingly bring the virus to me. I saw a photo of my daughter: she looks like a Martian… blue gown, mask, hat, goggles, gloves and more, when she works. And it’s getting worse. I know it does not sound nice, but I think all these people who think it’s a hoax and then get infected should be placed at the end of the line at the hospital and not take the beds of innocent people who took all precautions.

Bonnie said...

Oh my such a rude awakening to me! It never occurred to me a hospital patient with the disease would still deny they had it. I posted it on FB, so other naïve souls like me would see it. I blame the chief instigator for this continued denial.

Cop Car said...

Absolutely mind numbing.

Mary said...

The stupidity and brainwashing is astounding! How did we get here and it’s not all trump...a lot yes, but there most be more to this denial.