Monday, June 02, 2008

How not to raise money...


Like most public universities, my alma mater, the University of California at Berkeley, is hurting for cash these days. Investing in future citizens is not in vogue in most states, especially those that have let Republicans make taxing ourselves nearly impossible.

So, like most good nonprofits on the make, they send out glossy brochures. Since I'm away from my mail, I don't know if I got this one. But I saw a mention over at Balkinization and tracked it down.

Apparently they thought that in the interests of non-partisanship and diversity, they should showcase a Republican Asian. But Mr. Torture Memo? And then letting him whine about how disruptive it was to interrupt his academic career to go justify atrocities...I mean do "public service." Plueeez...

Public service is an important responsibility, especially for those of us who are members of a public university. Moving to Washington for a few years can be very disruptive to a professor’s research plans and personal life. But I think that it is important we make a contribution when our government calls. Personally, I would not want to hold again any of the jobs that I have held, not because I disliked them, but because it would feel like watching the same movie again.

Berkeley, you lost me here.

2 comments:

Civic Center said...

Yoo belongs in jail for the rest of his natural life, and you might start an movement to boycott all alumni donations until they kick the war criminal's ass to the curb.

Nell said...

Wow.

It's one thing to make a case for why he should not be fired; it's quite another to use him as an 'alum makes good' fundraising figure.

Just wow.