Monday, June 16, 2008

WWKIP in Central Park


I'm not a knitter myself, but I'm partnered with an avid one, so I got a close look at World Wide Knit in Public (WWKIP) Day in Central Park in New York on Saturday. What's that, you ask? Perhaps a karass, the fingers of a Cat's Cradle.

But I should let a knitter explain:

World Wide Knit in Public Day was started in 2005 by Danielle Landes. It began as a way for knitters to come together and enjoy each other's company. Knitting is such a solitary act that it's easy to knit alone somewhere and sink into your work without thinking about all the other knitters out there. Neighbors could spend all their lives never knowing that the other knits. This a specific day to get out of your house and go to a local event (with your knitting in tow) just for you and people like you. Who knows you might even bump into your neighbor! Consider this a spark, to ignite a fire; getting all of the closeted knitters out into fresh air. About WWKIP



Yes -- they sit there and knit.




And converse with each other.


Some wisely brought chairs.


Most seemed to be having a great time.


Host Anne-Marie of Sit'n'Knit raffled off knitting goodies. I'm told that's a scale for weighing yarn.


The winner was thrilled.

WWKIP comes around annually. Look out for it in your neighborhood.

4 comments:

Civic Center said...

When I first started blogging, I realized that the two major "growth" niches of blogging were food blogs and knitting blogs, go figure. It's a woman's thing, mostly, and it's all about power and structure and communication and "girlie" stuff like that.

janinsanfran said...

Yes, mike -- the knitting blog world is incredible to contemplate -- which I mostly don't. :-)

Anonymous said...

congrats to the scale winner! ;) - emily

Arif Mamdani said...

so as a semi-lapsed knitter (I pretty much only knit when it's cold out), I have to ask if there were any guys at the WWKIP?