Sunday, September 30, 2007

A celebration of a too short life, well lived


Five hundred or so people celebrated Bill Sorro's life at Horace Mann School Saturday. The Filipino community activist, stalwart Ironworkers unionist, and affordable housing agitator knew everyone in progressive San Francisco. He was deeply loved.

In the same video from which I grabbed the picture above, Bill said something like:

When I go to talk to a city commission, or to the labor council, or a church, I'm not a different person. I'm always the same guy; I wear only one hat. ...

You could say there's a 'selflessness' in working for the community. But I don't feel that. By working for the community, we're working for ourselves.

Bill wore the one hat of man who struggled for justice for working class people in every setting throughout his life. Bill Sorro, Presente!

No comments: