Friday, July 31, 2009

Bubble living

I really do live in a bubble -- and I'll stay right where I am, thanks.

Among people I know, it would be impossible to find anyone who does not believe that President Obama was born in the United States -- but the media keep discussing the so-called "birthers" who cling to this lunacy.

Turns out there's a reason I've never met one: they are clustered (quarantined?) in the South.



H/t Washington Monthly. Only 47 percent of Southerners know the right answer -- and we can assume most of the Black ones get it right, so that implies a strong majority of whites get it wrong.

This vein of ignorance is an example the core logic of white supremacy: no Black man could be qualified to be President; a Black man is President; hence he must be unqualified. Huh?

2 comments:

People in the Sun said...

He can be President. Of Kenya, where he's from!

(sorry, couldn't help myself).

Darlene said...

It is bewildering how any thinking person could believe that Obama was not born in the United States. Oh right, the clue is "thinking". Some people don't use their gray matter and let the Rush Limbaugh's and Bill O' Reilly's do their thinking for them.

I had intended to write a blog on this subject and now I am going to do so.