Thursday, July 09, 2009

The future of human rights advocacy


Irene Khan, Amnesty International Secretary General:

One of our goals is to bring the two top nations of the world, the United States and China, to develop a common basis. We want the U.S. to sign up to the United Nations Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights and we want China to sign up to U.N. Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.

Der Speigel via Salon, June 1, 2009

I'd say they'd bracketed what the world needs nicely, wouldn't you? I'd also say, it's nice to encounter such a strategic vision for a more just future.
***

Until July 18, I'll be working my butt off at the General Convention of the Episcopal Church, trying to move us closer to full inclusion of all baptized people, including LGBT people, in all the life of the Church. This time is what we political junkies call "campaign mode" -- the crazy, exhausting 18 hour days of frenetic activity that sometimes win changes we seek and sometimes lead only to deep disappointment. I'm hopeful about how this project will work out. If you are curious about how we're doing, you can follow all the General Convention news at the LGBT advocacy group Integrity's GC portal. I don't expect to blog during this time except perhaps a few photos, but I've got at least a rudimentary post set up for every day, many of them more reflective than the time-sensitive political commentary I often write here. Enjoy.

2 comments:

Darlene said...

Yes indeed - the Secretary General has it right.

Don't work too hard, Jan. Take time out for yourself.

janinsanfran said...

When I scheduled this post, I had no idea that China would be actively repressing its Uighur population when the post went up. Let's hope that ancient civilization can move toward civil rights -- and that ours can begin to understand economic rights.