Tuesday, July 16, 2013

A memorial to people who fought for freedom in the 20th Century

This memorial occupies a corner of the ancient synagogue of Barcelona. The foundations of the tiny building date from the third or fourth century C.E. It served a longstanding Jewish community until 1391 when Christians responded to the Black Plague by burning as many Jews as they could find.

According to museum staff, the memory of the ancient Jewish community had disappeared from the city’s history until archeological investigations in the 1980s. In 2002, the building re-opened as a museum.

The museum board chose to display the memorial palm above and next to it, an honor roll. In the shadow of the atrocious failure of justice in my country in the Trayvon Martin killing, I was moved to see these familiar names:
I'll resume my internet break now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.jta.org/2010/03/07/life-religion/israel-rips-anti-zionist-tribunal-in-barcelona

It's to be hoped those in charge of the museuem are publically critical of Israel's apartheid system in Palestine if they're
in favor of freedom.

janinsanfran said...

I have no way of knowing...but I would not be confident.